What is Iontophoresis?
Iontophoresis is a specialized therapeutic technique that utilizes a mild electrical current to deliver medication through the skin’s surface and into underlying tissues. “Pushing” an anti-inflammatory medication through the skin with an electrical current enhances the penetration and effectiveness of the medication, leading to targeted and efficient treatment of affected areas.
Diagnoses Treated with Iontophoresis
Our skilled physical therapists employ iontophoresis to address various musculoskeletal conditions, including but not limited to:
- Tendinitis and Tendon Injuries: Iontophoresis can help reduce inflammation and promote healing in tendons affected by conditions such as Achilles tendinitis, rotator cuff tendinitis, and tennis elbow.
- Plantar Fasciitis: This treatment can alleviate pain and inflammation associated with plantar fasciitis, a common condition affecting the thick band of tissue that supports the arch of the foot.
- Bursitis: By delivering targeted medication, iontophoresis can effectively address the painful inflammation of a bursa, which is a small fluid-filled sac that minimizes friction between tendons and bones.
- Ligament Sprains: Iontophoresis may help with the healing process and reduce pain caused by ligament sprains, such as those in the ankle or knee.
- Muscle Strains: Iontophoresis can ease muscle pain and promote faster recovery for strained muscles.
Why Is Iontophoresis a Good Treatment Choice?
- Non-Invasive and Painless: Iontophoresis is a non-invasive treatment that does not require injections or incisions, making it a well-tolerated and painless option for patients.
- Targeted Delivery: This therapy allows us to precisely target the affected area, ensuring that the medication reaches the intended site of injury or inflammation, resulting in more effective treatment.
- Minimal Side Effects: Iontophoresis minimizes systemic exposure to medications, reducing the risk of systemic side effects often associated with oral medications.
- Faster Recovery: By promoting healing at a cellular level and reducing inflammation, this treatment option can accelerate the recovery process, helping patients get back to their daily activities sooner.
- Complements Other Therapies: Iontophoresis is commonly used with other physical therapy treatments, such as therapeutic exercises and manual therapy, to optimize overall recovery.
Contact Us Today if You are Looking for Phonophoresis Treatment or Need Help with Muscle Pain or a Joint Injury
If you are experiencing any of the conditions mentioned or have other musculoskeletal issues, our trained physical therapists are here to help put you on a path to recovery.
Don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment and take the first step towards a pain-free and active lifestyle.